Friday, October 30, 2009

Still on the Stump!

This is the week for filing candidacy papers in Illinois. Needed for the office I seek is the collection and submission of at least 5,000 valid signatures of Illinois registered voters. Although it does not sound like a difficult task, this is the first time the candidates have a chance to knock each other off the ballot.

When I first contacted the Illinois GOP about seeking elected office, the Chicago representative I spoke with suggested obtaining at least 8,000 signatures. His impression was with the attrition caused by incorrectly filed petitions and the disqualifications from other candidates, that would be the minimum number I should aim at to make sure I had 5,000 when all was said and done.

To make sure I accomplished this goal, the Committee to Elect Edward Varga contracted with a political consultant downstate to assist with not only campaign consultation but also with signature collection. They are still hard at work to finish signature collection as close to the 8,000 they can. I have collected what I can at events I attended but it is hard to work the room (as they say) and carry a clip board.

Monday, November 2, 2009 is the last day to submit candidacy paperwork. Until then I am on the stump!

No comments:

Post a Comment